First post for 2017! Let there be many more like this one!
And now… the process!
- I wanted to expand the concept from my previous piece: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BOKr6 So i started off with that sketch and expanded it.
- Here I needed to see a color mockup. Easily done by working with adjustment layers.
3. I knew i wanted to have more detail. The idea of this character was to be a Shakespearean self questioning robot, made up from various mechanical pieces and organic matter. To represent the essence of flesh and machine brought together rather forcefully.
4.The character was supposed to hold a human skull in his hand. But the painting was not very clear. So i went in Blender and made a 3d model that I later integrated in the final painting.
I’m all alone now. The others are gone. As if the jungle just swallowed them whole. There’s no response from the starship, either. There’s nothing for me here! What am I doing in this god forsaken corner of the Galaxy? Shhh! I heard something! Wait…what is that glowing thing…is it…No, can’t be. But still…wait…is that… IS THAT A… …f..zzz….^@#4rr*& -signal lost-
Daily sketch no2.
Keep them coming, ice cream man.
What if we sent androids on the Moon to build a colony? They don’t die, they are autonomous, they can be controlled from far away and they don’t vote!
Daily sketch no1.
Yeah right. As if I’m gonna stick to this schedule. This might be the 3rd time i start something like this and trust me, it usually ends abruptly! I’m more like Usain Bolt when it comes to this type of challenges…I run short and finish quick.
Anyway, here’s a shaman. He had rotten fish for lunch.
I worked with the following rules:
- 5-8 minutes per b&w sketch
- 3 values at the start, extended to 6-8 after composition looked good
- applied colors with color filters, corrections with masks
- star wars
Meet Jonie, the space marine. He’s green.
The easiest, fastest and most effective approach: layering your materials and then using masks in photoshop (or whatever) to decide which area is what material. E-Z.
A speedpainting I did using a rough 3d base. Spaceships, space station and typical sci fi stuff.
And here is a process log. I did a few color variations before settling on the greensih one. All in all around it took me under 3 hours, i think.