This illustration was done to demo a pipeline of 3d to 2d. This pipeline started out in film and game studios during the concept art phase. The 2d artists would use lowpoly, crude 3d items and paint over them to flesh out details, colors and materials or do a light pass on a scene before the level artists and the lighting artists would actually implement it in the engine. But lately, technology has evolved and it no longer takes a lot of knowledge to use 3d for presenting ideas, light them and texture them. Marmoset 3, Unreal, Unity and even Blender Game give you the option to build up a scene, add materials to models and light it realistically for an impressive presentation. I use this pipeline to do illustration. If the idea is solid enough, then you can cut down a lot of time in the painting of details phase.
So let’s break it down.
- The Ideea: a white, good sorceress during the money shot. She has a bird companion which she summons; it represents her warrior spirit and her “extended fist”. The girl is the embodiment of good, but a strong, independent woman, capable of fighting strong opposition. The shot needs to look empowering, powerful, memorable (and other seo-friendly industry-standard pop-culture sticky terms). That makes it “sellable”. Very important.
- Costume design: somewhere between the classic Valkyries and your generic – run*of*the*mill – rpg sorceress class lies our design. Catchy, sexy – bling – bling yet simple and sugestive.
- The scene setup: a rough sketch of how the characters are set up, what they do, what relation is between them and a hint of the environment. Oh, about the environment – it’s set to support the presentation of our 2 subjects. Anything that can empower the idea that the sorceress is clean, noble, “urban”&”high value” if you like. I could’ve placed her in a cave but…not the same effect!
- 3d Block-in: I use Blender (it’s free) to set up my scene with the architectural elements, posed characters and most importantly – the lights. Blender Engine is like a Dacia 1300 car (also known as Renault 12): it’s awful at first drive, but after 2000 km you start to appreciate its simpleness and easiness to fix problems. And in general it gets you there even if you choose to drive through Boulderland.
5 and onwards to the final image: this is the simple process of painting, overpainting, repainting, suprapainting and postpainting. You know, like in the good old days.
My artwork is available on a multitude of mediums: print, canvas and tshirts! Check it out now!
— UPDATED on 13.07.2017 —
Latest installment on Teknoblivion series, now in 6 variants. Stay tuned, prints coming soon!
UPDATE: Now available in 6 color variants!
Hello guys and gals!
I am happy to present you my personal project – Teknoblivion! This is the name I gave to a series of paintings with a design language based on dark technology, cyberpunk, sci fi and occult art motives sugar coated with my own personal spin!
The game opener is called BLUEDEATH and it is an homage to the first episode of an old anime called Cyber City Oedo. Ah, the memories!
Stay tuned, guys, this is just the beginning! I will upload regularly and I have a lot of surprises for you! Cheers!
I did this painting in anticipation to Ghost in the Shell movie – i haven’t seen it yet, but i will as soon as possible!
I also threw in the process and the inspiration. I started with a figure in DAZ that I posed roughly in the position i needed. Secondly, I went into Blender to set up some basic lights and atmosphere. Then it was photo-bashing, color philters and overprinting to tie everything together.
And now the process! I took inspiration from this frame in the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie.
Next…a lot of photobashing and overpainting over 3d models. The main ideea was to achieve a believable environment but also keep it half-dreamy as if you were there along with the android, asking yourself what is going on.
First post for 2017! Let there be many more like this one!
And now… the process!
- I wanted to expand the concept from my previous piece: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BOKr6 So i started off with that sketch and expanded it.
- Here I needed to see a color mockup. Easily done by working with adjustment layers.
3. I knew i wanted to have more detail. The idea of this character was to be a Shakespearean self questioning robot, made up from various mechanical pieces and organic matter. To represent the essence of flesh and machine brought together rather forcefully.
4.The character was supposed to hold a human skull in his hand. But the painting was not very clear. So i went in Blender and made a 3d model that I later integrated in the final painting.
I’m all alone now. The others are gone. As if the jungle just swallowed them whole. There’s no response from the starship, either. There’s nothing for me here! What am I doing in this god forsaken corner of the Galaxy? Shhh! I heard something! Wait…what is that glowing thing…is it…No, can’t be. But still…wait…is that… IS THAT A… …f..zzz….^@#4rr*& -signal lost-
Daily sketch no1.
Yeah right. As if I’m gonna stick to this schedule. This might be the 3rd time i start something like this and trust me, it usually ends abruptly! I’m more like Usain Bolt when it comes to this type of challenges…I run short and finish quick.
Anyway, here’s a shaman. He had rotten fish for lunch.
A speedpainting I did using a rough 3d base. Spaceships, space station and typical sci fi stuff.
And here is a process log. I did a few color variations before settling on the greensih one. All in all around it took me under 3 hours, i think.