This was done in around 5-7 hours as an exercise of speed modeling in Blender. The idea was to create a little scene that could serve as a set where I could place cameras and take shots at varying angles and focal points. In the end I used the Blender Game mode to add crude light and mood. I didn’t use anything but default materials except for some of the neons and LEDs (where i just set a color and a >0 value for emit) and some fog. That’s it, the idea was to achieve a 3d base for overpainting with the most basic of tools in a short time. As for the mannequins that populate the scene I chose not to go with DAZ because they would take too much to pose, export, import, place, correct issues, re-pose, re-import, rinse and repeat. Therefore I made those bulky mannequins that i could twist on the spot.
I am definetly going to streamline my 3d piepline for 2d illustration, the advantages are great in a concept art environment.
Here are some shots I took while trying to light the scene. I had in mind a Mars base / medium distress type of mood. In the end I went all Alien 3 on it 🙂
Here it is – the motherload! Available in 3 color variants! Soon on your walls, on your iphones, on your tshirts and in your hearts!
UPDATE: Now available in 6 color variants!
Hello guys and gals!
I am happy to present you my personal project – Teknoblivion! This is the name I gave to a series of paintings with a design language based on dark technology, cyberpunk, sci fi and occult art motives sugar coated with my own personal spin!
The game opener is called BLUEDEATH and it is an homage to the first episode of an old anime called Cyber City Oedo. Ah, the memories!
Stay tuned, guys, this is just the beginning! I will upload regularly and I have a lot of surprises for you! Cheers!
I did this painting in anticipation to Ghost in the Shell movie – i haven’t seen it yet, but i will as soon as possible!
I also threw in the process and the inspiration. I started with a figure in DAZ that I posed roughly in the position i needed. Secondly, I went into Blender to set up some basic lights and atmosphere. Then it was photo-bashing, color philters and overprinting to tie everything together.
And now the process! I took inspiration from this frame in the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie.
Next…a lot of photobashing and overpainting over 3d models. The main ideea was to achieve a believable environment but also keep it half-dreamy as if you were there along with the android, asking yourself what is going on.
Black and white composition sketches, done using some models from 3d warehouse. The scenes were built in 3d and then enhanced in Photoshop. Super useful sometimes!
I named this piece Locustus. It started as a relaxing sketch that was supposed to take around 2-3 hours. So nothing to polished or fancy, just a vehicle for me to play with color and mood. The shapes started in symmetry. But as I was painting I noticed that it had more potential if I add some movement and not just shapes. But man… i had to solve a lot of construction problems! And the decision of making arms holding ‘something’ proved to be … uninspired in the later stages of the painting because I couldn’t decide what the hell is this guy holding. I could have put more time in it but my policy of no-more-than-8-hours-per-daily-paintings slapped me out of that though
Here are some wip’s. See the progress!
You can achieve a lot of moods with very simple color filters.